This week—February 24 through March 2, 2013—is Bird Health Awareness Week. Activities and programs offered throughout the week will give students, bird lovers, and poultry owners an opportunity to learn simple steps to keep their flocks healthy. Bird Health Awareness Week is part of the USDA Animal and Plant Inspection Service’s (APHIS) Biosecurity For Birds campaign to promote awareness of and ways to prevent the spread of infectious poultry diseases.
The highlight of this week is a free webinar—Growing Chicks into Healthy Chickens: Getting Ready for Spring, on Thursday, February 28, 2013. The webinar begins at 2 p.m. EST. Participants will get information and tips on raising healthy backyard poultry. Topics include:
- How to get your birds and equipment ready for spring
- What to look for when buying chicks to start or build your flock
- What are the best and most popular bird breeds
- How to keep your flock safe from predators and disease
- What are the signs of infectious diseases
- Where to find resources to help you.
To register for the webinar, go to: https://healthychickens.webex.com/mw0307l/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=healthychickens and use the password: Chickens (password is case-sensitive).
To learn more about Bird Health Awareness Week or the Biosecurity for Birds campaign, visit http://healthybirds.aphis.usda.gov.