Holly, Jolly and Oh-So-Safe!

With all the hustle and bustle of holiday preparations, one of our largest concerns are what we call “foreign bodies.” A foreign body is any object that is ingested and becomes lodged in your pet’s digestive tract. If not caught soon enough, these objects have the potential to puncture through the digestive wall into the abdomen. This is a serious concern, and can cause many life threatening complications, which we all would love to avoid.

Some common objects that you should watch out for around your home include, but are not limited to:

  • Tinsel, bows, yarn, ribbons, Angel Hair (especially for cats)
  • Ornaments, Decorations (be especially aware of the glass ones)
  • Metal Ornament Hangers
  • Artificial Snow
  • Chicken, Beef, Pork bones – **they will not dissolve**
  • Shrink Wrap/Tin Foil
  • Garland String (keep a close eye on your popcorn strings!)
  • Skewers/Pop-up timers

…Some other toxic items you may find around your home during the holidays are:

  • Holly Berries: can cause intense vomiting and diarrhea, and can potentially be fatal.
  • Mistletoe: upsets the stomach & can cause slowing of the heart, and in some cases, collapse. With large quantities ingested, hallucinations, and even death have been recorded.
  • Poinsettias: can cause blistering in the mouth and stomach.
  • Lilies can be deadly to cats if ingested.
  • …Did you know that most snow globes contain antifreeze? Antifreeze is a fatal poison if ingested. Best to keep your globes well away from the edges of tables.

 

In general, common signs of illness include:

  • diarrhea
  • vomiting
  • difficulty urinating/defecating,
  • Pale gums
  • Not eating/drinking
  • Abdominal sensitivity
  • blood in urine or stool
  • lethargy

If your pet is expressing any of these symptoms, or if you know they have ingested a concerning substance, please call our number (802)876-7333 immediately. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
 

We wish you a Happy Holiday and a Happy Pet Year!