The annual Take Your Dog To Work Day (TYDTWDay) was first celebrated in 1999 by Pet Sitters International. It was created to celebrate the great companions pets make and encourage their adoptions. It encourages employers to experience the joy of pets in the workplace at least 1 day a year and positively support their local pet community.
It also accommodates cat lovers and others who cannot participate on TYDTWDay. The entire week leading up to the day, June 17 – 21, 2013, is Take Your Pet To Work Week™.
TYDTWDay offers businesses a positive, unique opportunity to:
• increase community involvement.
• establish community ties by partnering with a local shelter or rescue
• show employees you care about the role pets play in their lives.
• garner positive media attention.
• most importantly, support an important cause-pet adoption!
Here are some ideas you can put in place for the day:
1. owner/dog look-alike contest or theme
2. best trick competition
3. Lunch time walk/parade
4. Ask a local vet, dog trainer or pet professional come in and speak on a pet-related topic. (If you would like assistance contacting someone to come to your office please email firstname.lastname@example.org)
4.Give thought to how your company can use the day to promote adoption or raise supplies and/or money for a local shelter or rescue group.
Please take advantage of these downloadable forms, materials and resources as you plan your 2013TYDTWDay event.
Additional resources to share with participants:
Remember to share Photos so we can capture the day of fun!
Tips for Dog Day Success
• Dogs should be kept on a leash, unless in an employee’s office or cubicle.
• Participating employees should use a baby gate to prevent dogs from leaving
their office unsupervised.
• Specific areas, such as bathrooms or employee dining halls, can be designated
• Have a back up plan for taking the dog home if he is not comfortable in the work
• Provide midday walks or potty breaks for employees’ dogs.