Labor Day Holiday Safety Tips

While we will be closed Labor Day, Monday, Sept 3 for appointments, we will be available for emergencies.

Here are some tips to avoid those holiday emergencies:

Many of the foods that are customarily served during a traditional Labor Day meal are not toxic to our pets. If furry family members are allowed to join in the festivities,  it’s extremely important to request guests not to share any food with them in order to keep them safe. Consuming too many rich foods can cause pets major belly aches, vomiting and diarrhea.

This said there are foods that are toxic to both cats and dogs that must always be avoided.  Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in both cats and dogs. While according to Pet MD the causative factor of grape and raisin toxicity is not yet known, it appears to be in the flesh of the fruit.

Dogs who have ingested grapes or raisins may vomit, have diarrhea, increased thirst and urination, and become lethargic. If the kidneys start shutting down, urination may stop altogether.

While many cats are fussier about the types of treats they covet, there is nothing more convincing than a kitty with the look of starvation on their face. But since barbeque fair often contains “people food” that are toxic to felines, such as onions, garlic and raw potatoes it’s crucial to keep these items far out of kitties’ reach.

Theobromine is the offending substance in chocolate and is extremely toxic to both dogs and cats. Read about the effects of chocolate toxicity in dogs and in cats. Read more about which foods are dangerous to cats and dogs.

If you observe your dog or cat consuming any of these items, immediately contact us for assistance.

Keeping these tips in mind will help ensure that your Labor Day barbeque bash is huge success for both human and furry companions. Have a gloriously safe holiday.